Tuesday 25 February 2014

The good, the bad and the pricey!

Following on from my previous article, it is obvious that price is the leading factor in the purchase of wine. So I thought it prudent to look at where the best "value for money" wines come from. 

But before I can do that, I need to understand what "best value" really means in the wine world. 

- Is it about who makes it?
- Is it what country/region it's from?
- Is it what grape it's made from?
- Is it how much it costs?
- Is it just about how it tastes?

I would say, for me, it's a combination of all of the above! I want a wine made from a grape that I like, from a country I know to make that wine well and a producer that I also know to be good...and I want all of that at a fair price.

But the term fair is a fluid concept as I know that a Saint Emilion 1er Grand Cru Classé will cost me a lot of money because of where it comes from; I deem that to be fair because I know why it costs that much. But for the average person who just wants something nice to open and enjoy, they may object to the large price tag and deem it unfair.

The wine producers with the better names get to charge more, it's just a simple fact, like any business.

But the trick with wine is finding those little gems that stand out from the white noise of a wine shop's packed shelves...

So in terms of value; I would say that flavour is one of the top categories. You want a wine that tastes nice, not just one that "was expensive so it must be good". I see it every day, people know what they like and don't like, but you shouldn't base that dislike on cheap Chardonnay or Liebfraumilch that you had in the 80s and 90s. Branch out and try something new...or again!

Cost is obviously a top category as you want something you aren't going to feel guilty about opening because it's "not the right occasion". The best value wines, in my opinion, come from countries where the wine is not subject to super strict wine laws. So Bordeaux is wayyyyyyyy off the table; yes, some of the best wines in the world are from Bordeaux but the amount you need to spend to get something worthwhile is much greater than anywhere else. 

Grape variety plays a big part of value as it links into all of the other categories. Some grapes cost more to grow than others, some can only be picked carefully by hand, some are easier to make wine from. These all push the price of a wine up. So in terms of flavour and grape variety, I think the occasion/weather determines the decision. Cold and miserable weather warrants big beefy red wines, hot summer days in the sunshine warrant refreshing, zesty whites or rosé. 

So overall, I would say the best value wines with crowd favourites and options at just about every price point, lie within these countries: 

- Argentina (Malbec)
- Chile (Viognier, Carmenere)
- Australia (Shiraz)
- New Zealand (Sauvignon Blanc)
- South Africa (Chenin Blanc, Sauvignon)
- California (Chardonnay, Zinfandel)

*NOTE* Californian Zinfandel is not a rosé...nor is it sweet. 

Yes...well observed; these are all New World countries. Their climates are ideal for producing wines with big flavours and in each country there are plenty of producers to keep the prices competitive and no strict laws determining the quality of their wine. All of the countries outlined are well known for producing those wines. 





No comments:

Post a Comment